Route d' Arles
Family hotel in Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer, Camargue – between Arles and Montpellier
Beauties and festivities of Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer
During your stay in the Mas des Lys hotel, be sure to visit Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer, located less than 3 kilometres from our establishment. This town, which is famous in many respects, is well worth the detour: capital of Camargue, a major town in Provence, a seaside resort and a key pilgrimage centre for gypsies from all over Europe, it is marked by the authentic natural spaces of marshes and lagoons, the omnipresent bull-fighting tradition and is a stage for the many folklore and traditional festivities held there every year.
Culture lovers will enjoy visiting the town: discover the fortified Romanesque church and its crypt dedicated to the patron saint of gypsies Saint Sarah; visit the home and museum of Marquis Baroncelli which recounts the history of Camargue and the daily life of the region's inhabitants and their rich character; enter the arenas of Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer to discover an emblematic site for French bull-fighting.
Programme of festivities, feria and pilgrimages in Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer:
- Pilgrimages on 24 and 25 May: they bring together gypsies from all over Europe who are there to celebrate the Black Virgin and carry out christenings.
- Village Festival on the third weekend of June: in the purest tradition of summer festivals in southern France, it offers various activities in a festive atmosphere (funfair, penas, folklore groups, abrivado, bandido and bull racing through the town's streets).
- Horse festival around14 July: this Equestrian Arts meeting offers several shows, encounters and parades around horses and bulls all set to a background of gypsy music.
- October pilgrimage (around the 22nd of the month): processions, prayers and sound and light shows on the beach.
- Abrivado festival on 11 November: bull-fighting events and manades organised on the beach by the local horse breeders in tribute to local traditions.
- December pilgrimage (first weekend of the month): processions and ceremonies in the town.
Take advantage of your stay at the Mas des Lys hotel to treat yourself to charming visits in the surrounding towns. Just a 25-minute drive away, Aigues-Mortes is famous for its ramparts and towers dating from medieval times, as well as for the layout of the theatres (town's arenas) - Historic Monument since 1993 - designed for Camargue horse racing.
Arles also holds many treasures: take advantage of your stay at our establishment to treat yourself to a moment in this town of Art and History, located a 30-minute drive from the Mas des Lys hotel, which offers an extensive historic heritage: it was a major town in Roman times and has preserved many architectural and artistic remains. The town's Roman monuments are World Heritage sites. Immerse yourself in Antiquity with visits to the Roman amphitheatre, the antique theatre, the Roman ramparts and the Constantine Baths.
Less than an hour from our establishment, the dynamic atmosphere of Montpellier and its historic heritage will not fail to charm you: stroll around the famous Place de la Comédie or Place Royale du Peyrou and the Arc de Triomphe, admire the Couvent des Ursulines and Saint-Pierre Cathedral dating from medieval times, and visit the Fabre Museum for art lovers.
Nature and traditions in Camargue
The Mas des Lys hotel is located in the heart of the Camargue Regional Nature Park, famous for the diversity of its fauna and flora. The protected sites offer visitors the chance to discover the region's unique treasures: pink flamingos and other species of sea birds, salt marshes, rice paddies, and many lagoons. Also pay a visit to the manades, some of which are open to visitors, and gain an insight into the secrets of the traditions of Camargue based on bulls and horses.
A paradise for sport enthusiasts!
A stay in Camargue will offer you the opportunity to discover and try your hand at many sports. The sailing school in Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer offers courses and private lessons. The Camargue region is also ideal for many water sports: kayak, land yachting, paddle board, fishing, and more.
Mountain biking, horse riding and hiking will also allow you to discover the fauna and flora of the region. The paths and trails are easily accessible during your holidays with family or friends at the Mas des Lys hotel or during a romantic getaway in the region.
The Mas des Lys hotel is ideally located in Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer, between Montpellier and Arles, in the heart of Camargue and its Regional Nature Park, a natural haven.
From the A54:
- Take exit 4 towards Nîmes/Arles/Trinquetaille/Bellegarde/Saintes-Marie-de-la-Mer/Salin-de-Giraud.
- At the roundabout, take the 4th exit on the Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer/D570 road.
- At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit and continue along the same road.
- Turn right to reach the Mas des Lys hotel.
- Latitude: 43,474250
- Longitude: 4,409575
- Montpellier-Saint-Roch train station is also a 50-minute drive from the trains to Béziers, Bordeaux, Avignon, Brussels and Paris-Gare-de-Lyon.
- Nîmes train station is a 50-minute drive away and is served by trains (TGV and Intercités) from Lyon, Massy, Marne-la-Vallée, Montpellier, Marseille and Valence TGV.
- Avignon TGV train station is one hour from our establishment. In particular, it offers routes between Lille-Europe, Marseille, Paris and Rennes.
- Nîmes -Alès-Camargue-Cévennes airport is 40 kilometres from the Mas des Lys hotel. It offers regular flights from Brussels, London, Liverpool and Fez.
- Montpellier-Méditerranée airport, 50 km from our establishment, offers a large selection of destinations in France and around the world: Paris, Mulhouse-Basel, Bastia, Lille, Lyon, Nantes, Ajaccio, Brest, Rome, Copenhagen, Munich, Frankfurt, Rotterdam, and more.
- Avignon-Provence airport is 80 km away and offers four direct routes from Southampton, Birmingham, London and Leige.
- Marseille-Marignane airport, 100 km from our establishment, is the 5th airport in the country and is served daily by many flights from a number of cities in France and around the world.
Distance in km from the Mas des Lys hotel to: